Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Favourite Drugstore Concealers


The following four concealers are by far my favourites from the drug store. Just a quick note, I set all my concealers with Make Up Forever's Pro Finish Multi-Use Powder, so this may contribute to the longevity of the products mentioned. Also, I vary in application from my ring finger, to the Real Technique's Foundation Brush or Domed Shadow Brush. So here are my favourites! (in no particular order)

Maybelline's Age Rewind Dark Circle Eraser: 
This product doubles as a concealer and highlight for me as it is very light and thin. Light coverage. It's very easy to blend as well as apply. The packaging twists the product into the sponge applicator at the top making it pretty effortless and good for precision. As far as pricing goes, I believe I picked this up at Shoppers Drug Mart for approx. $10. As you can tell by the image it's been used and abused so it's definitely a lasting product. There isn't much of a colour range from what I've seen but they all look very similar in hue and I think it matches most skin tones nicely.

I typically use this under the eyes as a highlight rather than concealer and on the top of the cheekbones. Personally, I'd never put this on a blemish simply because it's brightening properties would only cause attention to the area. On days when I want less coverage, this is the concealer to grab. It gives a bright, airbrush sort of finish that looks glowy and radiant. Be sure to blend the edges out well because I find that it can sometimes be a bit too bright. Beware that these sort of products can flashback however, so if pictures are going to be taken I'd leave it out. 

As fas as long wear goes, this concealer has lasted me all day long without creasing. It does tend to fade, which is why I layer it with another concealer.

Revlon ColorStay Undereye Concealer:
This concealer is my go-to along with Maybelline's Dark Circle Eraser. They work wonderfully together. This product has about light to medium coverage and blends out beautifully. I bought this for approx. $11 at Shoppers Drug Mart, and it has lasted me for quite some time. The applicator is similar to Maybelline's, so again, easy to apply. I'm not totally sure about the colour range. From what I've seen I don't think it was extensive, but don't quote me on it.

I use this product only under the eyes. It gives a matte finish and manages to cover my dark circles decently well, both with the Dark Circle Eraser underneath it and without it. It can be drying, and at the end of the day can crease on me occasionally. I'd recommend making sure to moisturize the eye area before using this product or skipping it if you have very dry skin or very fine lines.

Revlon PhotoReady Concealer:
This concealer contains SPF 20 and cost me approx. $10. Its packaged in a tube resembling a lipstick (which I think is always cute) so it's easy to throw it in your purse for touchups. Its consistency is what you'd expect of a stick concealer, a little thick but blends out nicely. I'd say light to medium coverage.

The formula itself can be drying, so if you have very dry skin or dry patches, I'd steer clear of this one. I typically apply this to blemishes or my acne scars, around my nose and anywhere that looks too red for my liking. It can look cakey if you apply too much and also if it is not thoroughly blended out. Although SPF is a good thing, again I'd be wary of photos because it does tend to flashback. 

L'Oreal True Match Super Blendable Crayon Concealer:
This concealer is similar to Revlon's Photoready concealer stick although I'd say it is a little more blendable. The product twists up which is great because it means no hassle with a sharpener. I find that this concealer when first applied is light to medium coverage but it can definitely be built up a few extra layers without looking cakey. It has never dried out my skin and blends seamlessly into my foundation.

I like this concealer mostly for blemishes and redness, but I have used it under the eyes before. When under the eyes it is a bit drying, but nothing too drastic. I like this one just a teeeensy bit more than Revlon Photoready. 

What are your favourite drugstore concealers? Do you think high end brands have better concealing products?

1 comment:

  1. Definitely give it a go! It's the best highlight I've found.

    ReplyDelete